- Walter Cunningham - poor family, in Scout's class; would not take money from Miss Caroline; Cunninghams won't take money they can't repay
- Burris Ewell - was sent home by Miss Caroline; upset; very poor; come in the first day; authority issues
- Miss Caroline - strict; hit Scout with a ruler; ignorant to the ways of Maycomb
- Calpurnia - upset that Scout was mean to Walter; motherly figure, strict; compassionate
- Jem invites Walter to dinner - Atticus welcoming; Scout gets upset about how Walter eats; Calpurnia explains to her why he is that way.
- Scout - sassy, back-talks Calpurnia, out-spoken
- Scout tells Atticus she doesn't want to go to school-- if she goes to school, he'll keep reading with her